Bingo Fun At Britton Budd

Location: Britton/Budd Apartments
Date: Monday, July 22, 2013; 6:15 -7:30 pm

It had been a few months, but I finally returned back to one of my favorite Bingo locations.  I came over to find that I was the only volunteer there.  Elvina, with whom I had played in the past, waved me over to come join her.  I sat down and complemented her on a lovely pink embroidered bag that she was holding on to.  I enjoy my time with Elvina due to her quick wit and today was no exception.  When I mentioned that it was a nice day outside, her response was that at her age every day was a nice day!  Our volunteers were still missing, so it gave an opportunity to chat some more and I learned that Elvina has a Pomeranian dog named Magic.  He is 5 years old and she has had him for 3 years, having rescued him from anti-cruelty society.  Elvina told me that she had actually gone to get another, smaller dog, but had come back with Magic.  She said that Magic had been meek when younger, but now was quite mischievous.  As a pup he loved getting under the couch, but now that he is bigger, he has to make himself “as flat as a rug” to get under there – not that it prevents him from trying.  She said that her daughter was going to try and raise the couch so that it becomes more comfortable for him to slide under!  Elvina said that despite her advancing age, she took care of Magic, including walking him.  Only because she has been sick, her daughter has been helping out with Magic, but Elvina would return to walking him now that she was getting stronger.  She went on to say that her family has always had dogs and while she often doesn't remember people, she still remembers a dog she had while growing up.  She was a Collie-Irish Setter named Queenie, who was as high maintenance as her name suggested.  Apparently she enjoyed baths and did not like being petted after one; she even bit Elvina once when she went over to her after a bath.  Elvina mentioned that her daughter has cats, one of whom once climbed on the ledge of a 9th floor in a high-rise, causing quite a ruckus.  I said that I liked both, cats and dogs, and she responded that all living things are nice! 

The new Bingo cards
As can be deduced from our long conversation, we were running late for our Bingo.  Finally - after I thought that the project had been cancelled for the evening - a volunteer arrived and from the looks of things, she was a regular.  Soon thereafter our Volunteer leader Greg came with the prizes and hastily set up the table.  Elvina took her own sweet time selecting the Bingo cards, wanting to ensure that all of her favorite and lucky numbers made it on the board – such as No. 8.  We were joined at our table by two other residents Jackie and Meredith, as well as the other volunteer, whose name was Tracy.  Jackie was quite spunky and had a dry sense of humor.  She kept complaining that every time she had remembered to come down for Bingo, she had lost.  I said that today may be different since luck was on our side.  Meredith was wearing a ‘Looney Toons’ cap and when I pointed it out, she said that her other cap had Mickey on it.  Looks like a lady after my own heart!

In the meanwhile, the game was progressing and I won.  I pushed the card towards Elvina and asked her to call out; following which she went and picked out hand soap.  Elvina was doing well by herself and was close, just missing the number 42 – which I pointed out to her was the meaning of life!  But she was not to be denied and won on her board, at which she picked up an appointment book.  She told me it would help her keep track of her Doctor’s appointments, though I did point out that we were more than halfway through 2013.  Meredith was not having any luck and complained that Greg, who was calling the numbers, was not turning the wheel effectively.  Hence the same numbers kept coming up and the same people won.  There is of course a flaw to this logic, but before I could point that out, she yelled out aloud.  We all thought that she had a Bingo, but realized that she was being sarcastic since one of her numbers had finally been called.  I told her that I liked her style and was with her if she wanted to start celebrating individual numbers!  But Meredith and I did agree on one thing, while the new Bingo boards looked stylish, they were a bit difficult to see when the number windows were closed, especially since she has cataract in her eyes.  She had no problem in seeing when she finally got Bingo and after shouting triumphantly; she went over and picked out a crosswords puzzle book.

Poor Jackie wasn’t having any luck, but that did not deter her from making sharp and witty comments.  First she announced that no one would be allowed to leave unless she wins at least one round.  I asked if she wanted to change her Bingo cards – like some of the other residents were doing – and she said that she had faith.  I said that she should at least flip the two cards that she had and exchange their positions so as to change her luck.  She said that she wasn’t superstitious and that she would stick with what she had through thick and thin – mostly thin, she added.  The lady was on a roll and I was having a great time.  But her optimism finally paid off and she won, picking a toothbrush from the table.  Finally, we were down to one last prize, which was toothpaste and I told Jackie that it would make a nice companion to her toothbrush, at which she instantly replied, “That’s what dentist’s samples are for.” Brilliant! 

The game was over and as usual people had been extremely nice, not just to us, but each other as well.  Meredith had come down with something that looked like bottom of a French Press and she said that she usually needs one glass of caffeine to make it through Bingo.  Talk about sharp people!  Elvina thanked us for coming, though it was really my pleasure.  It always is over here.  I mean, there are places where residents have to reluctantly give away their prizes to others in case they win more than once.  Over here, they happily give away the prize from their first win.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment