Make-A-Wish Open House

Location: Make-A-Wish Offices
Date: Wednesday, July 24, 2013; 6:00-7:00 pm

I had been a weekly visitor to MAW offices during last year’s Believe campaign.  Then, when I came for my Wish Granter training, I found that they had moved across the hallway to a slightly bigger office.  At that time they were still renovating and so many rooms had been blocked off.  But now they were ready to unveil for all to see and hence had sent out invitations for an Open House. I decided to attend and invited my friend Augusta, whom I had met during the Avon Walk in June and while we had stayed in touch, had not been able to meet since.  We arrived at the offices to find that the party was well and truly on with people walking about with drinks in their hands.  I saw Jeanne at the front desk and she immediately told everyone that I had been one of the most committed volunteers for the ‘Believe’ campaign, even going as far as calling me “Superstar Santa”.  Well, looks like the prodigal son had returned! 

When you wish upon a star
We got a map of the space, not that it was a treasure hunt, and started in a room which had several pictures on the wall.  Closer inspection revealed that these were photographs of the Wish Ball and while I could see some from the skit that I was a part of, there wasn’t one of my almost award winning performance as ‘Security Guard #1’.  I did however recognize photos of the kids who had been the ‘Wish Ambassadors’, having chatted with one during the party.  We moved on to other rooms and all over the offices there were pictures and posters of kids and their wishes, a conscious effort on the part of designers to make this office space a celebration of what MAW does.  One of the posters was of a 3-year old girl and it said, “I wish to go to the beach”.  Now, on surface it appears to be a straightforward wish…I mean it’s going to the beach.  But the picture showed a bunch of ‘Sesame Street’ characters behind her and a carnival type ambiance, meaning that the ‘Wish Granters’ had gone above and beyond in designing the experience.  Remember, it’s our responsibility to enhance the simplest of wish into a memorable and unique occasion.

We were walking about the room looking at the posters, when an announcement was made that the program was about to commence.  It started with a speech by the CEO of MAW-Illinois, thanking the people who had ‘donated’ many of the rooms in the new office space.  As she went through the list, I learned that the rooms had been donated in "memory" or "honor" of someone, most likely a former ‘Wish Child’.  There were a lot of parents and ‘Wish Children’ present and many were recognized by the speaker.  Besides private donors, there were organizations such as ‘Best Buy’ who had also contributed.  After the speeches, there was going to be an unveiling of plaques around the office space, which would have names of the folks who had donated that particular room or section. 

Wish poster
After the speeches were done, I chatted with Dan, who has helped coordinate some of the events I have participated in and we talked about the ‘Wish Ball’ and how I was angling to get the ‘Wish Ambassador’ role for next year.  There was another poster with a wish, “I wish to have a service dog”.  I found that a very unique wish and something about it was poignant.  Of all the things the child could have wished for, he had chosen to ask for a service dog.  I mentioned that to one of the staff members and she agreed.  In the meanwhile, the next phase of activities was about to commence, which was a singing performance by a young man, who was introduced as a former ‘Wish Child’, and who was now in college.  Looking at his boyishly charming face, I was totally unprepared for what followed - an excellent rendition of a song from ‘The West Side Story’ and ‘Imagine’ by John Lennon.  He also did another song dedicated to MAW and received thunderous applause after he was done.  I went and congratulated him and wished him luck for the future. 

The party was almost done and as we headed out I once again met Jeanne, who introduced me to Dana, who will be running the ‘Believe’ program this year.  I told Dana that I was looking forward to the opportunity to participate.  She asked me which store I would like to do and this was an interesting question.  The store on State Street would certainly be more convenient, being located right near my office.  However I have a special fondness for the Water Tower Place, due to all the memories from last year and I told her likewise.  At the door we collected a cookie as well as a ‘Wish Token’, which was good for one wish.  It had been a good visit and seeing the families during the ceremony was a nice reminder of what it is all about.  The ‘Wish Token’ is now mounted on my office wall.  Someday I will use it for my wish… but it’s not time yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment