On Every Street - At 400

400 indeed
It has been some time since the 300.  Part of it is due to me being lax in my writing; but one of main reasons has been the reduction in my volunteer hours.  I have always believed that volunteering should never be a chore and if one finds it as being so, then it is time to stop or at least pull back.  While I never considered it a chore, I wasn’t feeling as committed as I had been in the past.  My travels had taken over most of my weekends and work often left me tired on weekdays.  But there were a few projects that I was particularly fond of and ones which I tried to attend regularly – “Lakeview Senior’s Pet Therapy”, “Dinner At Wells Street Café” and “Adler After Dark”.

I will never forget my very first visit to ‘Lakeview Nursing Home’, for it was my very first project.  I have written at length in the past on “What’s The Word” and how that became one of my favorite activities, right until its cancellation last year.  Through that I was introduced to other projects that Chicago Cares ran here, most notably “Lakeview Seniors Bingo” and Lakeview Senior’s Pet Therapy, besides some of the weekend projects.  But the one that I am particularly fond of is “Pet Therapy”.  Yes, I love dogs and this project gives me an opportunity to indulge myself in their company, but it is so much more than that.  This is probably the most “hands on” project that Chicago Cares has when it comes to seniors, since you are literally visiting with them in their rooms.  This is not some Bingo game in a community hall, but a personal experience and perhaps the only interaction that most of the seniors have during the week.  I have seen everything from raw humanity to intense vulnerability to misplaced optimism and even resigned humor during these visits.  And I have met some unforgettable characters like Hannah, who is always ready with a story and Loritta with her endless smiles and my newest friend Pearl, who is as well-read and educated as any person that I have met.  In my opinion, this project is truly the most significant one in Chicago Cares’ portfolio. 

I had first gone to “Dinner At Wells Street Café” through Chicago Cares and had taken an instant liking to the project, primarily because of the people involved.  Marianne, who is in charge of the volunteers and pretty much runs the place, is just the kind of motherly figure that you want to see at the end of a hard day…of which there have been plenty.  Her reassured touch makes what could easily be a chaotic evening a well-run machine, but with the most important ingredient – a human touch.  She never lets us forget why we do what we do and ensures that our guests have the best experience possible, along with the volunteers.  Every month as I visit there, I am reminded of the great people I work with, people like Joe and John; an especially little Hannah who continues to amaze with a maturity far beyond her young age.  It is truly a family environment and the love and respect that our guests have for Marianne is evident.  Even though we have cycled through 3 chefs since I have started here, the one constant is always the high quality of the food.  There is no compromise on that and our guests are treated to a meal worthy of any restaurant.  Plus there is always plenty to go around and no one leaves hungry.  It is my privilege to be able to serve here and more importantly, be a part of that family.

Ever since I moved to Chicago to take up my current job, my association with the scientific community had been reduced to occasional conversations with my old colleagues.  That was till one day at a “Volunteer Expo”, I came across a team from the ‘Adler Planetarium’ and they told me about the volunteer opportunity as an “After Hours Education Host” at their premier social event – ‘Adler After Dark’.  I decided to apply and what followed was a long process, which included a grueling interview – one of the most difficult ones that I have given – and intense training.  But it has all paid off in the end, for this is one of the best volunteer experiences. For 4 hours every month, I get to discuss science with people.  The entire evening is not only designed to provide our guests a great experience, but the volunteers are rotated through various stations, so that they do not get tired and jaded.  On any given evening I talk with ten’s if not hundreds of people and often end up teaching them something that they were not aware of.  Plus every event has its own theme and different set of experiments to accompany it, which keeps everything fresh.  Also, I enjoy the company of my colleagues, who are as nerdy as me when it comes to science and we spend most of our free time debating the latest scientific discovery or even better, “sci-fi” movies.

While these 3 projects will remain some of my more frequent activities, over the course of last 100 articles, I have spent a brief time as a volunteer at Lincoln Park Zoo and also finished my first Jimmy Fund Boston Marathon Walk.  Besides that I had an opportunity to meet Baby Kyler and be a part of the wish that sent him to ‘Disneyworld’…before it was too late.  And I was able to attend a classical concert unlike any other with the residents of Misericordia.  It has been an incredible journey and it still is.  Even though the stops have become a bit infrequent, it is still an experience that introduces me to amazing people…on every street.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment