Dress For Success

Location: Dress For Success Offices
Date: Saturday, May 09, 2015; 10:00 am-2:00 pm

My plans for this morning had been cancelled and so when I looked at the Chicago Cares calendar, this was one of the few projects that had an opening.  Plus, it turned out to be in downtown, which was perfect; though I had no clear idea on what the project entailed.  I was running late and so took a cab, but still ended up arriving 10 minutes late.  The orientation had already begun and yes, I was the only male there.  After signing in, Doris - the lady in charge - tried to say my name several times and failed.  In the meanwhile I was beginning to think this had been a massive mistake as the tasks were sorting women’s clothing into “work appropriate”, “after 5” and “donation”.  No wonder there were no guys here.  Doris said that she would eventually get my name right, and also get me a job more “suited for my skills”

Handy reference for this activity
There was a lot of “learning” on what we were supposed to be doing and not just for me as some of the other volunteers seemed a bit unsure as well.  We were emptying out bags of clothes and then checking to see if they were damaged or had any stains or cat hair.  If so, then those were to be in black bags for donation to ‘Goodwill’.  The ones which did not make the bag were to be examined for seasonality and if they weren’t winter coats or sweaters, they would be either be on the rack as work clothes or on the other rack for after work.  I was consulting with the ladies around me to check if they would make the cut or not.  Even a slight hint of cat’s hair would mean that the dress was rejected.  After a bit of trial and error I was getting a hang of it.  Some of the dresses were quite nice and colorful and if I thought that they could be worn in the office, I would classify them accordingly.  One volunteer next to me said that in her job, everything was “work appropriate”…whatever that meant!

In another room, one volunteer was sorting through shoes and Doris mentioned that she was also a boxer who had won many fights.  Well, I knew who not to cross!  Doris asked me if I could help fix the curtain holder, which required some maintenance work.  I said that I was sorely lacking in any skills related to that and so she sent me back to sorting.  I found a bag with scarves and that was easier for me than dresses.  In fact, one of the volunteers said that I had “lucked out”.   The scarves were indeed beautiful and many were violet, which is of course my favorite.  I discarded a few which had stains or holes, but most of them were in decent condition.  As we did this, I told my fellow volunteers that we should be advocates for colorful clothes “making it” instead of being discarded, since everyone could use a bit of color in their lives.  Not sure how that was received though.

I had not spotted the Chicago Cares Volunteer leader for the day and she finally showed up, saying that she had been upstairs directing traffic.  Well, that’s a new one.  Not all of the volunteers were through Chicago Cares, and a few of them had come via a 'Meetup'.  There was also some networking going on, with some job prospects being discussed.  One of the staff member’s came over to tell us about the organization.  ‘Dress For Success’ was started in 1996 with $5000 seed money in NYC and is now a global institution.  Their model is to help women who are looking for a job.  They will not help them in preparing resumes, but rather look over one and provide feedback.  Then they would set them up with a dress for the interview and if they were to get a job, then provide them with enough clothes for one week.  Plus, the women going through this program would also be a part of the network.  I said that was great, since many organizations do not follow through with their clients once they have provided the services.  I said that I could see a huge networking opportunity facilitated by Chicago Cares, where they could get organizations like these to work with some of their other members like ‘Open Door Shelter’ and ‘House Of The Good Shepherd’.  The staff member was wearing a t-shirt called “Bold and Beautiful Project” and she told us about it, where women were invited for a makeover session as well as a tutorial on how to do their own makeup; and I thought that it was terrific for their self-esteem.  I asked if this was affiliated with the Glass Slipper Project and she mentioned that it was a different organization, though similar in concept. 

It had been a good orientation and we continued with our sorting.  Some dresses had no tag for sizes and we had to then look at others in the same bag and create a new tag accordingly.  Also, some were in numerical sizes and others as ‘S’, ‘M’, ‘L’ etc.  I would ask someone for help in interpreting, but later learnt that there is a “cheat sheet” for this.  Doris had finally got my name right and stopped to give us a suitcase which had clothes and yes, even more scarves.  The suitcase was to be donated to ‘Goodwill’ and soon enough their guys arrived with a truck.  There was a massive pile of bags to take upstairs and it took them a long time to do it.  In the meanwhile, we were almost done with the sorting and Doris said that it had been the fastest shift that she had seen.  I helped take some broken down boxes to the recycle dumpster and then it was time to go.  Before leaving, Doris gave us some “health mix powder” as a token of appreciation, along with… a scarf!  It had been more fun than what I had thought was possible.  I had met these lovely ladies and had learned more about women’s clothing that I would have otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment