Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, May 04, 2015; 6:15-8:15 pm

Our team for this evening
I arrived to see that Jim, Larry and Jack had already assembled at their usual table.  It was especially pleasing to see Larry since he had recently been in a hospital.  Jim said that they had missed me at the game night last Wednesday, something that I wanted to come for, but had been delayed at work.  Veronica, who was the leader for tonight, came over to and asked us all to assemble in the hallway.  There were a lot of dogs tonight, including an outrageously cute ‘Westie’ named Bodie, who seemed excited to see me.  Despite his enthusiasm, I was paired with a volunteer named Mel and a lovely ‘Corgi-Black Lab’ mix named Shiena.  Though she was 4, Shiena had the spirit of a puppy. 

We started on 3rd floor and our first stop was with a gentleman who I had not met before.  He had been a dog owner in the past and was keen on talking about them.  Next, we moved to the adjoining room and another lady whom I had not met.   She had also been a dog owner and when I asked what kind of dogs, she replied, "What didn't I have".  We learnt that at one time she had as many as 7 dogs, including a ‘Doberman’, a ‘German Shepherd’, a ‘Poodle’ etc.  She also had a ‘Black Lab’ who was named Jack Black, but she called him “Blackie”.  I asked if they all had separate bowls for eating and she said that they usually came in one at a time.  She said that they did so because there was one big ‘German Shepherd’ who would have otherwise eaten everyone's food.  I asked if she had cats as well and she said no since her sister was afraid of cats.  It was a nice visit and reminiscing about the old days seemed to please her.  I am sure that it also helps in their constant battle against something like ‘Alzheimer’s’.

We moved on and stopped to say hi to Pearl.  She told me that she was going blind and had been diagnosed with a degenerative eye disease due to lack of proper nutrition.  She once again reiterated the poor diet here and I said that she needs to get that issue to the forefront amongst everything else that she was doing.  I introduced her to Mel and Pearl called herself a "provocateur"; but in a good way I added.  Pearl said that she has a “doctorate degree” and so she should at least know a bit of what she was saying.  She showed us some of the jewelry that she had been working on and I said that I wanted to get some, but did not know who to give it to. Pearl said that she makes jewelry for men and that I could wear it, which would be stretch since I don't even wear a watch.  I told Pearl that we had to continue on, but I would be back at the end of the night.  Before leaving, she told Mel that I was a “ray of light”, which was the sweetest thing that I had heard in a long time.

Shiena
Next stop was with Polly and Dena.  Polly told us that she liked her time here and having just come from visiting Pearl, I said that this was the first time I had heard anyone say that about this place!  She talked about possibly going to ‘Northwestern Hospital’ after this.  That’s not bad, but she said that she preferred staying here than with doctors around.  I could understand that.  We went over to see Hannah and as soon as I had introduced her to Mel, Hannah told her the story of Johnny B and his kidnapping.  I asked about her book and she said that her lawyers are looking for an agent.  I said that perhaps she could do “crowd source funding”, because I’m sure there are many cat lovers out there who may want to help out.  Before we left, Hannah told Mel and Shiena to sign up for talent agency!  We went to see Jerry and as usual, Shiena loved him and his treats.  After giving him plenty of licks, we left to go down to the 2nd floor and see David, who rubbed Shiena down and she enjoyed every minute of it.

Our final stop was to see Loritta and she was in top form today.  I asked if her son was going to wish her for ‘Mother’s Day’ and she said he’d better.  We talked about her two grandsons, one who has a “doctorate” and the other who is high school dropout.  She said that the educated guy does not visit as much as the other one does.  I said it goes to show that education alone doesn’t define anyone.  I asked why she wasn’t moving to Georgia to be with her son and she mentioned she would never go to a “Southern State” after what happened in the past, leading us to discuss segregation and prejudice.  She asked if I had faced it at any point and I said never.  She mentioned how people were treated in Chicago, as recent as 1987, like not being allowed into certain establishments.  I said “remember the history, but don’t let it be a burden” and she said that it was easy for me to say that.  She said that she would rather live in South Africa amongst the lions rather than the South…and lions eat us she added!  I laughed at that as well as when she mentioned how people have prejudice against dark skin people, and yet spray tan themselves to look like them.  That was a hilarious observation.

Time was up and I dropped off Mel and Shiena downstairs and thanked them for coming.    I went back up to see Pearl and she was with some other volunteers and dogs.  I went in after they had left and she told me that a girl had said that she never knew compassion till her conversations with Pearl.  I said that it’s because despite all of her issues, Pearl has compassion towards her fellow residents.  She told me about an “Alzheimer’s” patient down the hall and how Pearl showed her a video of a comedian musician called Tim Hawkins.  Then she went on to show me the video and it was rather funny.  Music and humor, that’s what people need I told her.  I left soon but not before she encouraged me to think about wearing jewelry.  She also told me that she read this blog and “it gave further clarity to the person that she knew I was”.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment