Read–With-Me At HGS

Location: House Of The Good Shepherd
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2015; 6:30-7:45 pm

I was rushing to get there on an unusually cold day, meaning that we wouldn’t be going outside today.  I saw that some of the regulars like Wesley and Marc were already here and we were soon joined by Marvin as well.  Emily, who was our Volunteer leader, took us downstairs where the kids had already assembled and I recognized most of them from when I was here last time.  Emily called everyone together for introductions and as an ice breaker; we had to say what our favorite thing about summer was.  Based on my experience, I knew that this group of kids is always enthusiastic to play along with this.  I heard several things like “going to the beach”, “swimming”, “riding my bike”, “ice cream” etc.   One girl said that she had 4 things and that included everything that we had just listed.  I said that I liked the warm weather and after a day like today, it was the truth!

Our book for the evening
Next, the kids had to pick partners and as is the norm, no one choose me.  In fact, kids preferred to be partnered with 2 other adults or with other kids or with even with Emily than choose me.  I guess after a lifetime, I should be prepared for rejection.  Marvin tried his best to get kids to partner with me, but to no avail.  Finally, he was able to convince his kid girl to let me tag along.  Everyone had laid mats down on the floor and were sitting on them.  However, our little girl wanted Marvin and me to sit in kids chairs.  The book we had was called “Angelina Ballerina: The Best Sleepover Ever”.  It was about a “girl mouse” who was hosting a sleepover with her best friend, and how she was planning for it with her mother.  Our girl did not seem particularly interested in reading, meaning that Marvin and I would be reading alternate pages.  However, I noticed that while she was paying attention to Marvin, she was doing her own thing when it was my turn. 

The book was interesting, especially a page where the little mouse is planning activities, such as having pizza, peanut butter ice cream, pillow fight etc.  We asked the girl if she knew what the mice liked and she said cheese.  I asked why, and she said because of the smell.  So I asked that if I like cheese, am I a mouse and she said “yes”!  She also bought another book for us to read, called “The Tigger Movie”, but we were not going to get through this one during our session.  Sure enough, very soon Emily put a halt to this and we were on to games. 

The girl chose a game called “Lite Brite Travel”, which consisted of a bunch of multi-colored pins which one arranged in a grid, and there was a back-light which when turned on would form a pattern.  I personally thought that it was an extravagant marketing ploy.  Our girl asked us to take turns choosing colors and we were putting the pins in order.  Once we had utilized all the colors, she took it to show to our staff contact who was observing the activities.  In the meanwhile, I was looking at a game being played next to me called, “Guess Who”, which looked interesting. It was for 2 players with 24 characters cards in front of them and you had to guess other person’s character by asking questions and eliminating based on the answers.  It looked like a hybrid of “Battleship” and "20 Questions".  The boy, who was playing it, was looking for a partner and so I joined him to play 2 games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Time was up and after a couple of High-5’s with the kids we left.  I was sitting with Marvin on the train and we discussed Chicago Cares and how they should do more by getting their member organizations connected.  I guess the “Auxiliary Board” could be doing this, but that would just get in the way of their so called “happy hour fundraisers”.  I asked Marvin why he volunteers; I mean he has a family.  He mentioned how he had met a kid here a long time ago.   The kid was being brash and while he was turned off initially, later he learnt that the kid was like that because he did not want people to leave and this was a defense mechanism.  That put everything in perspective and suddenly I did not feel bad for never being picked…almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment