Walk Now for Autism Speaks!

Location: Soldier Field
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2015; 10:30 am-12:30 pm

I had volunteered for them 2 years ago, but decided to walk this year.  I also signed up to volunteer, thinking that I could do both, where I do some work before the walk commences.  But then, they asked me to come over at 5:30 am and that made things easier for me.  Hey, walking is better than waking…get it...nevermind  It was overcast when I left for ‘Soldier Field’ and had started drizzling by the time I arrived.  My first challenge was locating the registration area and I navigated through the crowd looking for the tent; noticing that many were in fact private team tents. Not finding anything on the outside green, I went inside the stadium, this being one of the few events which lets people have access to the playing field.  The last time I was inside the stadium was for Wish Ball a year ago.

People were getting ready
I still couldn’t find the registration, but heard the countdown for the walkers to set off.  So I just decided to join them, with or without checking in.  Well, that was easier said than done, since lots of folks were setting off and the exit from the field was crowded.  Around me, as usual, there were many who were walking as teams with customized t-shirts and carrying banners.  I made my way through the crowd and exited the stadium amongst cheers from people sitting in the stands.  Some folks were also tossing packs of gummy bears, though the significance of that was lost on me.

The big crowd set off
We left the stadium and I stopped to tie my shoelaces.  As I was doing that, a group of girls stood in front of me and posed for a picture.  I am pretty sure that I made that picture and it was a photobomb if there ever was one!  I re-joined the crowd as we walked around the stadium and proceeded towards the lake.  I liked the fact that this route would take us North along the lake, unlike the Hunger Walk which goes South.  There were some interesting team uniforms, including a group that was wearing green crown like objects that looked like things that people wear to prevent alien abduction!  Besides that, there were other people dressed as “Superheroes”, “Star Wars” theme etc.  One of the best things about these walks is people who walk as a team and truly celebrate this occasion.  While they were doing that, I had my earphones on and not being very social.  In fact, I kept slowing or picking up speed else it looked like I was amongst a group.  Yeah, really anti-social.

It was for a great cause
We continued Northwards along the lakefront and it was getting hot, making me take off the jacket that I had worn as rain protection.  We turned around near the ‘Daly Park’ and headed back to the stadium, once again, sticking alongside the lakefront.  While everything was going well, I was disappointed that there weren’t any water stations along the way.  But, the end was in sight as we walked past the ‘Shedd Aquarium’ and then towards the other side of the stadium.  As I walked past the “Finish line”, I saw a group wearing a shirt called “Brady’s team”.  I initially thought this had something to do with my beloved ‘New England Patriots’, and this was to support the team after the recent controversy; but then I saw that there was a kid’s picture.  This was a different Brady and probably a worthier cause to support. The party was on both, inside and outside the stadium, but I was tired and had another project later in the day.  The walk had been 3 miles and combined with another 3 miles to and fro to my apartment, I was exhausted.  But it had been a fun time and for a group that I like to support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment