Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, July 06, 2016; 5:45-8:15 pm

I had not been for my regular shift in months, though I had come for the “Summer Spectacular” last month.  I arrived to see that Marianne was here along with the usual Week 1 squad.  Chef Dan handed me a masher like the one used for potatoes and told me that it would be my best friend for the evening.  I was presented with a giant vat of beans and told to go at it with the masher.  They were eventually going to be converted into "refried beans", meaning they were a long ways from the desired consistency.  And it was all on me!

My beans
A volunteer was chopping cilantro next to me and Chef Dan was telling her to go finer.  I mentioned to her that based on the task that I had, she was ok doing hers.  Another volunteer was chopping fresh garlic and Chef Dan told her to go finer as well.  I mentioned that we had garlic powder, at which he said that he prefers fresh whenever available…and then proceeded to add a lot of garlic powder into the beans.  He also added cumin as I continued to mash.  Chef told me to move the giant pan to the stove in order to start the cooking…while I continue to mash.  I asked another volunteer to help carry the vessel to the stove and as I continued my mashing, I had to take care so as not to burn myself on the flame.  Behind me, fresh mayonnaise was being made in a stand mixer and I whispered to Marianne that I once made mayo with hand, not a mixer…referring to a cooking class I had taken in ‘Alliance Francaise’.  Everyone’s an expert in the kitchen.

As I continued, meat was being cooked on the griddle and a “Mexican Pilaf” was steaming somewhere else.  It was indeed a “Mexican themed” dinner tonight, with my beans, some sort of “Sopes with Meat” and the rice.  Plus, we had cinnamon rolls, which were stinking up the place good.  I was tired, hot and sweaty and my fingers were blistered.  People kept coming and  were encouraging, sympathizing etc., but no one offered to help.  Chef Dan said that I deserved an award tonight.  I asked if there was going to be a ceremony and an after party.  Chef said that he would cook for me, really hinting that since volunteers can also have the meal, his task was already done.   Another comedian!

Tonight's plate
I asked Chef Dan if he had an “immersion blender” and he said he did, but didn't offer it early on since it would have clogged; however it was ok to use it now.  But now the problem was that there was no plug point near the stove.  So we had to move the pan again; which was still preferable to me over the mashing.  I started with the blender and it was only a slight improvement on the mash, primarily because of its weight and the fact that I was tired.  At one stage the Chef said that we had the consistency we wanted, but before I could celebrate, he wanted to move the pot back to the stove and continue stirring over heat.  I spent the next several minutes stirring the pot to ensure that the beans did not stick to the base.  Finally, Chef Dan said that we were ready to transfer to a “6 inch pan” and with my arms being numb, I said that someone else could do it.  My part in this process was at an end. 

I went outside and saw that the music was on with Phil playing the piano.  I went over to chat with him and he invited me to sing.  I said that would not be good for anyone! Marianne got everyone together for her speech and she went over the instructions, especially for the benefit of the 3 newcomers that we had this evening.  In terms of assignment, as usual I would be on the plating team.  As we lined up, I found myself at the end of the line, responsible for the garnish.  The plate with the rice, beans, “sopes” and meat would come to me, and I would sprinkle “Cotija Cheese” and the chopped cilantro, which I was doing with flourish.  “It’s all in the wrist’, I mentioned to another volunteer.  After everyone had been served, I stepped aside and the seconds started.  Then, depending on where guests were sitting, I was stacking the chairs and moving them to the back, helping clean the front of the house.  We were done at 8:15 pm and I left after saying bye to everyone.  My dad would be visiting next month and so I mentioned to Marianne that I may get him with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment