Wish Ball 2016 – Part 1: Walkthrough

Location: Navy Pier
Date: Monday, May 17, 2016; 5:30-6:30 pm

Here we were again, another “Wish Ball Walkthrough” which was mandatory, with volunteers being threatened with expulsion from the event if they did not attend.  I have never understood why people who have volunteered in the past are required to do this, but whatever.  When asked earlier, I had said that my preferred duties would be either “Wish Child Ambassador” or “Registration”.  I wanted something that would be over earlier in the evening; not a late activity like “closeout”.  I received confirmation a few days later that I would indeed be on registration and would be done by 7:30 pm.  Perfect.

This year's concept: "Imagination Made Possible"
I arrived at Navy Pier by bus, meaning that I had to walk the entire length of the ¾ mile to get to the orientation place.  When I finally arrived, I saw that several other volunteers had gathered around and were awaiting instructions.  The orientation started soon and I was the only registration volunteer there.  The chief guest was some comedian from “Mad About You”, a show that I had never seen and hence had never heard of him.  Debbie, who was running the orientation, said that the “emcee” was some lady whom “all the guys would know”.  So much for not making any inappropriate comments!  The cool thing this time was that it was the “30-year Anniversary” of MAW, and a “Wish Ambassador” from each of the past 30 years was being invited.  I thought that it was fantastic, till I learned that they would be placed in an adjacent room for their dinner, not in the main dining room.  I guess that the main dining room tables are reserved for the “Auxiliary Board Members” who come out of the woodwork for such events for applause and a free meal.  Frequent readers of this blog are aware of my views on these people whom I respect as much as mold in a shower. 

There would be 6 “Wish Kids” in attendance and we were told that younger ones had been chosen this time so as to sell more raffle tickets, which I am sure the auxiliary board members would buy!  We were then told about the strict dress code of black pants and black shoes...else we would be sent home.  We were shown the electronic bidding process and as volunteers, we were eligible for making bids.  We were told that if we were to make any bid and win, we would be required to buy that item.  It seems that someone had claimed in an earlier year that an accidental bid was made due to their phone “falling out of their pocket”.  I guess these are the same people whose inappropriate pictures show up on the internet because their phones fall out of their…well now there wouldn’t be any pockets then would there?  We walked about the Navy Pier facility and everything was in the same place as last year.  We were shown all the rooms and dismissed.  Another wasted evening doing something that could have been accomplished by an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment