Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, August 03, 2016; 5:30-8:30 pm

My dad was visiting and I had asked Marianne the previous month if I could get him for the project.  She had said that “Yes, we like dads”.  So we took an ‘Uber’ and arrived at 5:30 pm. Marianne was missing and I learned that she was at a wake – an “Irish” one I hoped and said so to someone.  Their response was that all of the wakes usually are, since people drink.  I set up my dad in a chair in the kitchen and then asked Chef Dan what he wanted me to do.  He promptly dispatched me to chop cilantro.  Oh boy, me with knives again.

I started with that task and was done soon, at which he asked me to move to cutting Pineapples.  He got out his special knives for this one and showed me how to carve and cut a pineapple.  I got the hang of it soon and then it was just a question of working on 4 big pineapples, which were all going into the meat dish.  I was next to a volunteer and Chef Dan came and said that it was his last day.  I asked last day before what?  Was he going to prison, the moon, what was the last day referring to?  I learned that it wasn’t as drastic and that he had been visiting and was now going back home.  Like the previous month we had "cinnamon rolls" and this time we even had a glaze, which was being prepared on the side.  We also had "refried beans", though this time the Chef had a small “immersion blender”, meaning that there was no need for mashing manually…well not for me anyways!

Tonight's "assembly line"
My dad was sitting on a chair and observing everything that was going on, though I saw him make an occasional comment.  We seemed to be short-handed this evening, and Lindsey – who was playing the Marianne role – was having trouble getting enough people for each task.  I said that I would plate followed by counting seconds; my usual duties.  There were 2 couples who were here for the first time and they both went with “Juicing”, though I don’t know why anyone ever wants that job.  We did our prayer and I set my dad up outside, next to the plating station.  The menu was very similar to last month, with a “Mexican” theme, and once again I was on the garnish with “pickled onions”, cheese and cilantro.  I said that rather than use a fork, I would use my fingers for onions and cilantro, which would be more efficient way of doing things.  After the salads and juice was served, we started on the food and I was the bottleneck with the 3 sets of garnish, for which my fellow volunteers gave me a hard time.  Everyone’s a critic! 

After the first serving, I took over the tallying duty and many guests were coming back.  One gentleman kept returning, not for food, but to ask for hot water for his tea.  He was extremely well-mannered and always referred to me by name – and with perfect pronunciation!  When the rush was over, I went over to start stacking the chairs.  We had been told that some of the guests had complained that we had been disrespectful by not waiting for people to finish before cleaning up, which I thought was a fair point.  For the longest time I was the only one doing chairs and wheeling them in.  At one stage, I even dropped a stack of 10 on the floor and had to do it again.  One of the new couples had left early – which I always have a problem with since Marianne doesn’t like increasing the number of volunteers, meaning that any commitment should be for the entire evening.  When one couple was stacking chairs together – by lifting chairs at the same time like some couples therapy, I said to the guy that there was another carrier for chairs and that he should help out.  I was exhausted at the end with all the stacking and soon left with my dad who I think had a good time.  I saw our old Chef Keith and I hadn’t seen him since he left – or asked to leave as he insinuated.  He asked if my dad and I were related since I "looked like him".  He still feels a bit bitter, but said that he was doing some good things that he liked. I was glad to hear that.

No comments:

Post a Comment