Stuffing And Organizing With Cabrini Green Legal Aid

Location: Cabrini Green Legal Aid
Date: Monday, September 23, 2013; 6:00 pm-9:00 pm

I was intrigued when I saw that there was a One Brick project to benefit a Law Firm.  I mean, everyone loves making fun of the lawyers and they have more or less acquired a shady reputation, right?  So how come One Brick was associating itself with a project to benefit a legal team?  Then I looked at the description on the website, which said, “Cabrini Green Legal Aid (CGLA) provides high-impact, free legal services to low-income Chicagoans in four areas of law: family, housing, criminal records, and criminal defense. We integrate legal and social services in order to improve our legal outcomes and extend our impact beyond crisis support.”  Wow, I didn't even know such firms existed.  It was their ‘40th Anniversary Annual Benefit,’ and our job was to help them prepare for that through stuffing and alphabetizing the nametags. 

I almost landed at a wrong address – not an unfamiliar predicament for me – but arrived just after 6 pm to find One Brick regulars such as Laura, Tiffany, Irina, Matt, Gary and the up and coming super volunteer, Charles Paul.  Everyone had assembled around a long table with Charles Paul at the head, probably the perfect place from where he could entertain us.  A Cabrini Green staff member came over and told us about the firm, reiterating that their main goal was to provide legal services to people who couldn't otherwise afford counsel.  I asked her what the main difference was between them and the court appointed legal counsel, and she said that sometimes courts deny Government counsel if you are able to post bond.  Cabrini Green does not deny anyone if they fit within the low-income bracket.  She then explained our task for the evening, which was to prepare name tags for their gala on Thursday.  There were sheets upon sheets of attendees and we were to tear individual tags from the sheets, put them in plastic lanyards and then arrange alphabetically in boxes.  Looked like a low stress job if there ever was one.

The Lanyard's
I picked up a pile of sheets to start with, and while everyone was tearing off tags from one sheet and stuffing in lanyards, I decided to cut name tags from all of my sheets first and then stuff them later.  It was a repetitive job, meaning we were chatting amongst ourselves and Tiffany was playing music on her phone, where she asked us not to judge her based on her choices. I asked Charles Paul to tell us stories and without missing a beat he started: “This is about a girl who was lost in the woods and found herself in a house with 3 bears – Me and my buddies, Hansel and Gretel.”  He had us all laughing hard at this, as did Laura when she encountered some lanyards that were sticky.  “It’s slippery and sticky…that’s what she said.”  Charles Paul works in airlines industry and I told him about my buddy who got to travel all over the world for free because of his job with United.  Charles Paul said that it was absolutely true, at which all of us started dreaming about which destinations we would visit if given this opportunity. We then talked about the upcoming ‘Emmy Awards’ and everyone’s choice to win, ‘Breaking Bad’.  At this Gary started singing the show’s praises and said that as a chemist, he could say that it was a great show.  Laura and I talked about upcoming One Brick events and she was trying to get me to come to a ‘Single’s Mixer’ night on Friday, which was also a fundraiser.  I said that I had in fact signed up as an EC, but due to my friend visiting from out of town, had backed out.  When the ladies heard that my friend was a French guy they absolutely insisted that I bring him along, even though I told them he has a girlfriend.  “But he’s French”, was their response.  Aah well, I think that being able to speak “The language of love” does come with some privileges.  Well as can be seen, we were all over the place in our conversations and with 900+ guest cards to sort through, we had plenty of time. 

All boxed up
We had finally finished cutting the tags and putting them inside the lanyards and so the next job was to stack them inside the boxes alphabetically, something that Laura, Tiffany and Gary did.  Irina and I were given a different task, which was to wrap some printed plastic sheets on to themselves and stick with a scotch tape in order to make something like a hollow plastic cylinder that was open at both ends. The staff member said that they wanted to put these around lit candles on the dinner table.  Let’s take a time out here.  I said that one thing that my 10 years of studying plastics had taught me, was to not have plastic sheets millimeters away from a flame.  Gary confirmed that, but it is what they had decided to do.  Hopefully Wilson is on their speed dial for Thursday!  The final task was to prepare silent auction sheets and put them into their stands and then we were done.  I was exhausted and went home while others went for a drink.  It had been a fun evening catching up with my fellow One Bricker’s.  And I had also learned to appreciate that  lawyers do not deserve to get a bad rap.  They are not out there just to make a quick buck.  They actually care for justice…and for those who need it the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment