Assembling Lanterns With Leukemia And Lymphoma Society

Location: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm

I was tired.  I really was.  When I had seen this project as full, I had emailed the EM Laura asking to be put on the wait list.  Earlier in the afternoon she emailed saying that a spot was open and that I should come.  Against my better judgment I agreed and if there should have been a time for me to go home and relax, it should have been today.  But facing both, mental and physical exhaustion, I walked over to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society offices.  Now, this building has the most draconian security policy where the guard doesn't let someone in unless accompanied by the host.  So far so good – a practice followed by many buildings in the city.  However, where they differ is by asking you to call the office upstairs.  Not only do they not call themselves, they refuse to give you the phone number of the office.  I mean, its not as if we are here to ask the office out for a date are we! 

As I walked up to the guard, I knew this was going to get a bit irritable.  As expected, he asked me to call someone upstairs.  I said that I did not have a number and if he could let me know what it was.  He said that he did not have it, to which I responded that it was the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard.  I said that every building in Chicago has a number for each of the business’ in there and he responded that it was not his job to have the numbers of those offices, to which I replied that it absolutely should be.  My fatigue was making me angrier and I was ready to go all evening if I had to.  Fortunately for both of us a staff member had come down, and she took me upstairs as I glared at the security guard and gave the staff member a earful about the building policies. 

We had lots of batteries
This continued when I entered the main room where we usually assemble and I vented in front of Laura and her EC Eric and they both either appeared, or pretended, to be sympathetic.  With that out of my system, I looked around and saw that there were several AAA batteries on the table.  I asked Laura about it and she said that this month the LLS was having their ‘Light The Night Walks’ in Chicago, the suburbs and Northwest Indiana.  To prepare for the walks, we were going to help LLS assemble 8,000 lanterns, which the walkers would be carrying. Our job was to open the pile of boxes that were in the room, take out all of the 36 lanterns, remove from plastic bag, insert 3 AAA batteries in it and then put the lanterns back inside while throwing away the plastic.  This was as easy an assignment that I have ever done.

The box of lanterns
Other volunteers showed up, including some familiar faces like Irina, Dianna and Gary as well as 4 others.  Despite this, many others on the list had not shown up and just looking at the number of boxes around, I knew that we were going to be short.  I went to pick a box of red lanterns and started working, too tired to converse with the others who were discussing some TV shows. One volunteer came over to work next to me and introduced herself as Sheila. It was her first One Brick event, having just moved to the city from Oregon.  She wanted to know about volunteering, and so I told her about One Brick, Chicago Cares and Make-A-Wish.  Even though I was feeling like I had hit the wall, there is no escaping socializing during these events.

How it will look
Eric and I chatted about the ‘Bears’ games One Brick projects, which he EC’s and he told me about the Taylor Swift concert that One Brick had worked and the fiasco that had kept them at ‘Soldier Field’ well past midnight.  Wilson has been asking me to do these projects, but I love watching football on Sunday’s and working a ‘Bears’ game does not allow you to watch anything, even if you are just yards away from the action.  Laura told me that the next Jumpstart project had been scheduled for November 6th and having found it to be one of my favorite projects, I had been looking forward to it. However, I had my monthly ‘Wells Street Café’ project with Chicago Cares that day and requested Laura to move it back a week to the 13th. She said that she would do it in exchange for something and I said that post project that day, I would buy her a “Spiked Milkshake” at ’25 Degrees’.  We shook on that and before the end of this project; Laura had managed to move ‘Jumpstart’  by a week! 

We continued working on our boxes and picked others when done with one. Sheila found White and Gold lanterns besides the Red ones and so I switched it up by working on different colors.  I asked the staff member if I could keep one and when she said yes, I took a white lantern for myself.  Time was almost up and we had managed to finish less than half.  We apologized to the staff of LLS for some of our volunteers not showing up, though they were more than thankful for whatever we had accomplished.  As we went down the elevator, I asked Laura to keep me away from the security guard, since I was still fuming from my earlier experience.  The others persuaded me to join them for a drink at ‘Haymarket’, though all I wanted to do was go home.  I chatted with Eric for a bit on Fantasy Football, but left after a drink.  It had been nice to work with everyone, but tonight was a reminder that sometimes one has to take a break if they are not up for it.  However we had definitely needed all the hands we could find and I was happy to contribute whatever I could. Plus I like supporting this organization.  Now if they could only figure out the security arrangement…

No comments:

Post a Comment