Youth In Services

Location: Ruth Shriman Christopher House
Date: Friday, October 4, 2013; 4:00-7:00 pm

I had already shadowed two ‘Youth In Services’ projects and so was well versed in what it took to lead one of these.  However Joyce from Chicago Cares sent me an opportunity to shadow a project this afternoon, at the same place where I had done my first one.  Later I received an email from one of her associates, Kevin, who mentioned that my leader for this project would be Wilson, and said that he had extensive experience leading Senior Projects and could be a great resource for me.  I replied saying that I had heard about Wilson from other volunteers and looked forward to working with him.  I had copied Wilson on the message and he responded to me saying that he denied everything being said about him! 

The dining area
Wilson picked me up from my office and said that unlike last time, when we served hot dogs, today would be something a bit more complicated – tacos!  He also said that he would take a backseat today and let me lead.  He wasn’t kidding on this, as he dropped me off at the site and went off to get some supplies for his other project.  I went inside and met Bruce, who is the site representative for this facility. I told him that I was going to be in charge till Wilson got there.  He showed me to the dining area where all of the supplies had been gathered and the food was in the refrigerator.  However, what were missing were the volunteers.  I started taking inventory based on the list that Wilson had given me, and started organizing in groups as per the menu. Wilson arrived and even though it was 15 minutes past the scheduled start of the project, there were still no volunteers.  But that was not our only concern.  We were missing the Bingo prizes.  We went and looked everywhere and even called Kevin at Chicago Cares. He told me that the prizes had been dropped off, but we couldn't find them.  Wilson said that he would go and get some from a nearby store and I should get started on the cooking, especially the meat for the taco’s.  I saw that based on the size of the pot that we had, I would have to cook it in 3 batches.  I put the pot over 2 burners, and added a third of the meat into it. I seasoned with salt and pepper, and after browning for a bit, added a pack of taco seasoning.  Halfway through that batch, the youth finally arrived.

Taco supplies!
I took a pause from the cooking and asked them to sign in and for any newcomer, asked them to fill out a waiver form.  As an ice breaker game, I asked everyone to introduce themselves and state what was their favorite thing to do in Fall.  I said that for me it was the leaves.  Many went for “eating”, whereas one even said “Black Friday!” I then divided the group into three, sending one team for taco prep, the second one to make ‘Mexican Rice’ and the third for fruit salad.  Since I had just one set of instructions, I tore the pages into three parts and handed to each team.  The rice team needed to occupy a burner as well, meaning we would have to adjust with the meat station.   The taco team was comprised of two sub-groups, one warming the tortillas and chopping vegetables, and a girl who had joined me for cooking the meat.  She was a very thoughtful person with a mature head on her shoulders for someone so young.  She looked like a chef in the making and took over the cooking completely.  She tasted constantly and kept saying that we needed more flavor.  Unfortunately, all we had were a few packs of taco seasoning and while they did not go a long way, it was still better than just salt and pepper.  We were on our way and that’s when it happened.

The first batch of meat had been cooked and we needed to take the pot off the stove to empty it, so as to start the second batch.  However, we did not have any oven mitts and so I bundled up a few paper towels and lifted up the pot.  But in those brief seconds, the paper towels caught fire, and by the time I had turned around to put this on the table behind, my knuckles were on fire as well.  I stamped out the paper fire by foot, but the damage to my fingers had been done.  Wilson had returned with the Bingo prizes and said that his perfect record of no accidents had been tarnished because of me.  Despite my mishap, the cooking had to go on and the aspiring chef started with the next batch as Wilson found her some mitts.  The fruit salad team was done and the salad had been placed inside the refrigerator to chill.  So I asked that group to start placing bowls of 'Salsa' and 'Sour Cream' for each table.  The meat was still cooking, but the residents had already gathered in the room.  We decided to flip the usual schedule by playing Bingo before the meal, and some of the youth moved to calling the numbers and socializing with the seniors as they played.

My savior
By this time my fingers were turning sore and I was in reasonable amount of pain.  Wilson got me some aloe cream from his car and I slathered it on.  It also meant that I could not participate any further in the cooking.  But that was fine since the girl on the meat station was already underway with the third batch and had it covered.  Since the seasoning was not to her liking, Wilson added some leftover 'Mexican Rice' mix and other vegetables into it and she was happy with the outcome.  We announced that the meal was ready, which meant that the taco assembly line was now operational.  I told the group to not put cheese on the taco’s but serve it separately in bowls, since some may not want to have any dairy.  I looked around the room and saw some of the folks I had met during my previous visit, including Jerry, the sketch artist.  It had been just a few months, but he looked like he had aged in years since I had seen him last.  I mentioned that to Wilson and he said that it usually happens and age catches up with seniors faster than others, especially ones in a home like this one.  But Jerry was still as sharp as ever and sketching a man who was sitting across him.  His girlfriend was sitting next to him and said that even with a notepad on him; Jerry still prefers to sketch on a tissue paper.  Whatever the medium, he was doing a fantastic job.

The service was over soon and seniors started to head back to their residences.  Our biggest problem as we started the clean-up was lack of garbage bags.  While we looked for that, I told the youth that they had to clean the dishes.  Many were not enthusiastic about it but I told them that it wasn’t an option and they just had to do it.  The girl who had helped cook the meat was now at the sink cleaning, displaying a truly committed effort.  However, during the washing session, the sink had gotten clogged and now it was impossible to use this one.  If the youth thought that it let them off the hook, they were wrong since we moved them to another sink.  Wilson found some garbage bags and I got some boys to help fill them up.  Some of the residents were still around and Wilson asked them all to take the leftovers with them.  They were more than willing and so we packed it in Aluminum foil.  Things were moving along.

While there was lot of work yet to be done, it was also time for the group to leave.  Their youth chaperon Shanna asked for a reflection session, which is one of the highlights of this program. Wilson stood back as I assembled everyone in a circle and asked the newcomers what they had liked about tonight.  Some said that it was the seniors and the interactions that they had with them. One guy said that he liked the tattoos on a resident!  I guess it showed him that seniors are not some strange species. I asked for suggested improvements and almost everyone had something to say.  Some said that we should try a different game, other than Bingo; more time to cook; more decorations etc.  It was encouraging to hear that they were involved and wanted to make this program a better experience for the seniors.  They wanted to do well.  I told them that they had been fantastic and that they should not underestimate their contributions today.

Everyone left as Wilson and I cleaned the remaining dishes.  Jerry’s girlfriend was still around and she stayed back to chat with us.  She said that the food was spicy and had really liked the fruit salad.  Wilson asked if there was anything in particular that we should make next time, and she said that maybe a different cuisine.  She then asked if I had a wife!  Whoa, from different cuisines to this?  Wilson said that I did not have a wife, but I had many girlfriends – definitely news to me!  He then said no, I was single.  She asked what kind of girl I was looking for and once again Wilson responded, saying she should be kind and have empathy.  Well, those are certainly desirable qualities, but  isn't the right  girl one with whom you have a connection?  Why does it need to be complicated? 

Wilson and I then went for dinner, but not before stopping over at ‘CVS’ for some more aloe cream. Wilson had kept his tube on the table next to the exit and it had disappeared, our suspicion being that one of the seniors had picked it up on their way out.  This led to us discussing what may have happened to the Bingo prizes.  Kevin from Chicago Cares was adamant that he had dropped them off.  We wondered if someone had seen a bunch of stuff lying around and taken it home.  In any case, Wilson said that he would file a report like missing Bingo prizes, no garbage bags, no oven mitts etc.  And perhaps also an accident report with my burnt fingers.  But despite all of this, it had been a productive session, and a difference making one at that.

 *All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment