Lakeview Seniors Bingo

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, October 07, 2013; 6:15pm-7:45 pm

Darcy
I had signed up for the ‘Pet Therapy’ session and arrived to find that some pets and owners had already assembled.  I checked in with Maria, our Volunteer Leader, and turned to play with the two dogs that we had in attendance – Carline, an extremely enthusiastic 2 year old; and Darcy, a 3 month old Retriever mix.  Darcy in particular was all over us, as you can expect from a puppy, and gave me small puppy bites.  I was hoping to be paired with her for the evening.  But we still had some time to go before the commencement and I went over to chat with Jack, Larry and Jim, who asked if I was here for Bingo.  I said that I was here with the pets, at which he did a mock wave. The Volunteer Leader for Bingo, Maureen, came over and said that many volunteers had cancelled on her this evening.  She was definitely short-handed, while the Maria seemed to have more than enough Non-Pet Owners.  So I asked Maria if I could shift to Bingo and since she did not have a problem with that, I told Maureen that I could join her team.  Looks like I was here for Bingo after all.

One of the benefits of moving over to Bingo was that I could be with my buddy Emma.  I took a seat next to her and she seemed to be in good spirits, and quite chatty as well.  She was wearing sparkly pink nail paint and mentioned that her daughter was supposed to visit.  I asked how her daughter was and she said that she had just adopted two kittens.  Well, I hope that she gets them for pet therapy someday.  Emma then talked about how her dad used to put her siblings and her in a truck and take them all to the zoo.  I asked if she liked big or small animals and she said all types.  She was excited to talk about those visits to the zoo and apparently it was a splendid outing, complete with popcorn and ice cream.  I’m glad that she can still remember those days and still has those memories to cherish.

I could have sat and heard Emma talk about her childhood for hours, but Bingo was about to commence.  As usual I handed her a few chips, which she clutched in her hand and we were ready to go.  Right off the bat tonight was unique in terms of the numbers going our way.  And we won!  Maureen usually hands out dollar bills instead of prizes and Emma took that $1 and stowed it away safely.  We cleared the board and started the next round… and we won again.  Back-to-back, what do you know.  Emma said that it was great to have some money since she was always broke.  As Maureen handed Emma another dollar, she said to her, “This is what a good looking young man does.  Bring you luck.”  I guess she was referring to me.

The “Good looking man’s” luck brought Emma a third win, but since the rules allow for only two prizes, we had to give the prize away.  I said to Emma that they did not trust her with all of this money!  In fact, Maureen was ensuring that the wealth was being spread evenly and everyone had a chance to get something.  This was very important, and nowhere was it more evident when one gentleman won a dollar and the joy on his face and his squeal of delight was both, heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.  Of all the times I have been coming here for various projects, I had never heard this man speak.  And now this….for a dollar.  It drove home the point of how sometimes it can be more precious than all the riches in the world.

The red chips were helping us
Since Emma was enjoying herself, I asked her more about her zoo trips from all those years ago.  She said that back in her teenage years, she used to walk to the zoo, which was just 3 blocks away from her house in St. Louis.  I asked if she had been to the ‘Lincoln Park Zoo’ and she said in her own inimitable style, “Oh yes.”  As we continued to chat I learned that Emma used to play tennis.  Considering how great her attitude is, it was not surprising that she was so active in her youth.  As the game went on, Emma kept saying that the red Bingo chips were good.  She said it was her favorite color and I said I liked it too.  Well, her favorite color was helping us a lot as we won for the 4th time.  Once again we gave it to another resident who thanked Emma.  For her part Emma kept saying how nice it was that people were helping each other.  What a doll! 

The game ended soon and I spotted Elmer at a nearby table.  I asked if he had fun at ‘Get Crafty’ project yesterday and he said yes, having made a ‘Suncatcher’ with Fran.  She was standing right there and I asked him if she had made him work like a “rented mule”.  He said that she had, at which Fran burst out laughing.  She said that he had not called her interesting words like he had with me!  Emma had thought that her daughter was going to visit, but since she had not shown up, I went to drop Emma to her room.  I asked her how she was going to spend her winnings.  She said she does not have much money and so would like to save it.  Her room was closed, so I dropped her at a table in the empty community room on the 2nd floor.  She said that she really wanted to go in, but this was fine as well. Such a nice soul, and I knew she would wait without complaining.  I had come for one project but was leaving after having attended another.  I had hoped to be paired with the puppy Darcy, but had spent the evening with Emma instead.  It was the best thing that had happened to me today.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment