Help Out At CFF's Festiv-Ale!

Location: Carmichael's Steakhouse
Date: Friday, September 20, 2013; 5:30 pm-10:00 pm

One Brick has a long relationship with the ‘Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’ and this was another event to benefit them.  And it was in a Steakhouse!  The cool evening air made my walk to the venue pleasant and I arrived to see some of the One Brick crew assembled outside what looked like warehouse space of the restaurant.  As it stood, it was the party area for the Steakhouse and the place where tonight’s festivities were going to be conducted.  I checked in with Kinga, who was the EM and saw that some of the regulars like Gary and Rich were in attendance along with Charles Paul.  Well, the evening was getting better.

The courtyard of 'Carmichael's Steakhouse'
Tonight’s event was a fundraiser beer tasting festival with several brewers in attendance.  Our job was to help with registration and raffle sales as well as whatever help they brewers required. At registration they wanted two volunteers to pair up and I was with Charles Paul.  Right of the bat he said that since ‘American Airlines’ was sponsoring tonight’s event, he would get fired if anyone saw his picture below the ‘AA’ banner.  This is because they use GE’ engines on their planes as opposed to the ‘Boeing’ engines, which is where Charles Paul works.  There was only space for one person of the duo to sit down and I took the table with Charles Paul standing behind me.  I would be checking the visitors against a list and to see if they had the ‘VIP’ or ‘General Admission’ package.  The VIPs could come-in at 6 pm, one hour before the General Admission opened.  Once I located the guest’s names on the list, I was to hand them their bid card while Charles Paul would put a wristband on them – Yellow for VIP and Blue for GA.  He was to also give them a bottle-cap to vote for their favorite brewer.  The cards had their bid number for silent auction and raffle and which they would need for check-out at the end of the event.  It seemed easy enough and with the smell from the steakhouse and Charles Paul chirping in my ear from behind, we were ready to start.

My list of names
We were checking-in people with last names from H’ to ‘L’ and next to me on either side were others with names either before or after those alphabets.  There were signs behind us to let people know that, but we can’t expect visitors to see that can we!  So we had several people coming standing in the wrong line and very soon Charles Paul started announcing,“If you’re last name is between H through L, please step us and let Ritesh handle your beer drinking fun.”  I said he should instead say “Beer drinking necessities” and he agreed.  We had a view of the people walking through the restaurant courtyard to get to our table and so when people came, Charles Paul and I started guessing if they were going to be in our line…anything to stay entertained.  I was trying to address the people by their first name, and Charles Paul would be charming them with his one liners, especially the ladies. There were times when our section had no people standing in line, whereas there were long queues on either side. To this I would say, “You wish your last name was between H-L don’t you!” Almost everyone coming in was nice and friendly, and I even saw my friend Amy.  It was fun but after an hour, became quite repetitive. 

The votes were in
Around 8 pm I had about 20 cards left, but Kinga had sent some of the volunteers – including Charles Paul – for a break, and so I was now responsible for every letter from ‘H’ onward.  The list with me wasn’t foolproof though because there were line entries such as “Guests Of Erin” and while only 2 guests were supposed to claim them, I could swear that at least 4 people came through using that.  Boy, Erin sure was a popular host!  Around 8:30 pm I was relieved by other volunteers and went inside the party room.  There were a lot of brewers and people were walking around with beer samples.  While I could not drink, I was allowed to taste the gourmet food that was being offered.  I walked about for some time and reported back to Kinga to receive my next assignment.  We had handed out bottle-caps to all the guests, who were to drop it into a fishbowl at the brewer whom they liked the most.  This was their ballot in selecting the best brewery for the evening.  We were to go around and collect all of the bowls and count the ‘”votes”.  A few of us got the fishbowls and assembled in a backroom to count the caps in each.  It came down between ‘Haymarket’, who had 36 votes, and ‘Deschutes’ who had 37.  With the fate of the beer world on my shoulders, I double counted and proclaimed that ‘Deschutes’ was indeed the winner.

As the organizers went inside to announce this decision, I went back to the entrance, to help distribute goody bags to the VIP guests who were leaving.  Next task was to go back to the main floor and all of us were to spread out amongst the crowd as the organizers asked for donations.  If anyone raised their bid cards, we were to go over and ask them to fill out a “Pledge form”.  A young woman took to the stage and told us about her fight with Cystic Fibrosis.  She said that the generosity of the guests this evening enables continuing research and it was due to such medical advances that she was down to 20 pills a day from the 40 that she used to take earlier during her diagnosis.  And to think I used to complain about taking one pill as a part of some antibiotics course whenever I got sick as a kid.  This is no way to live, and I was glad to see several hands go up as people opened up their wallets.  I personally handed forms to at least 3 people and several other volunteers did the same. 

Our shift was at an end and Kinga told us to go have some fun.  I went to ‘Deschutes’ booth and told them that since they had won, there’s was the first beer I wanted to try.  I caught up with my friend Amy and then left after what had been another productive evening.  The smell from the Steakhouse was still in the air as I walked away, knowing that as long as One Brick continued to support CFF, I would show up for the projects.  

No comments:

Post a Comment