Get a Blank Slate! Help at a Fundraiser for Tabula Rasa!

Location: The Shambles
Date: Saturday, May 11, 2013; 6:30-9:30 pm

Technically this would be my third project of the day, but the walkthrough for ‘Wish Ball’ shouldn't really count.  So this day doesn't quite qualify as ‘Super Saturday’, through tomorrow may be another story.  I had returned from UIC and worked on some of questions for an interview that Chicago Cares was conducting for Serve-A-Thon.  That completed, it was time to head to this One Brick event.  I took a cab to the location and arrived to find a dive-type bar which looked like it had seen better days.  I was sure that once again, I had managed to get lost, but heard some activity happening on the 2nd floor.  I went upstairs to find a group of people gathered around the Karaoke Machine.  It looked like they were trying to fix it, and leading the effort was none other than your friendly neighborhood fix-it-all man, Wilson! 
 
The location was cozy
Our contact at the site was Chelsea and besides her, the other people there were her husband and two other friends.  They were all trying to fix the Karaoke and before Wilson got there, they had been struggling.  However as is usually the case, Wilson had it under control and it was ready to go before any of the guests had arrived.  Besides Wilson, who was the Event Manager, we had Jo-Elle who was the Event Coordinator, and 8-10 other volunteers.  Today we had all assembled to help ‘Tabula Rasa’.  According to the information on One Brick’s website, “Tabula Rasa provides transitional support services for juveniles returning to society from incarceration.”  Meaning Latin for blank slate, the information goes on to say, “Tabula Rasa is here to support, educate and guide 17-21 year old Chicago ex-offenders toward a life free from incarceration. We offer education and housing referrals, weekly support groups, one-on-one mentoring, individual and group counseling and life skills classes. Tabula Rasa clients also partake in cultural field trips and community service projects. We believe that our holistic approach to rehabilitation coupled with our infinite commitment to the client is exactly what this population needs to succeed. 73% of incarcerated juveniles in Illinois return to imprisonment within 3 years of being released. Without the proper transitional services, how can we expect these young people to succeed?”  Chelsea is the President and founder of the organization, and this was a fund raiser to support it. 
 
Snacks for the guests
Amongst other things like raffle, one of the main fund raising activities was the silent auction.  Almost every item had been donated and Jo-Elle had gotten a beautiful glass piece, which she had made herself.  I could tell that unlike some of the other fund raisers that we had done, this one was more intimate and more personal to some of the One Brick folk.  Chelsea told us that the previous year; Wilson had made beautiful signs for the event, all from the supplies in his car!  Our job that evening was to sell raffle tickets, at the entry point where the guests registered, and also by mingling with the crowd.  There were 5 prizes, ranging from ‘Chicago Sky’, Women’s NBA tickets, to iPad mini.  I was one of the raffle sellers and said that we would have better luck once people had a few drinks.  However, I needn't have worried; people were helping out and buying the tickets.  One guest said to me that he had already contributed to the cause, when I offered him a ticket.  It was all good-natured and I responded by saying that him buying the raffle tickets would in fact be the cherry on the cake.  He laughed at this and bought the tickets.  The gentleman said that he would prefer any prize, but the WNBA one and As luck would have it, he won that one!

The winners were being announced periodically and after this gentleman won, I was telling everyone that I had the lucky touch and that they should get their ticket from me.  This was in fact turning out to be true, for 3 out of the 5 winners came from my tickets, including the grand iPad prize.  In between selling the tickets, I was chatting with some of my fellow volunteers and one of them was Meghan.  She told me that she does art direction for pharmaceutical companies and design events such as ship inauguration as well as launch.  I asked her about the tradition of breaking a champagne bottle during the launch of a new ship and she said that each bottle is actually fitted with an explosive as a fail-safe in case they do not break, for it is considered a bad sign otherwise!

Jo-Elle's beautiful art piece
The party was on in full swing and the Karaoke machine was being utilized extensively by Chelsea as well as Jo-Elle.  Everyone was having a good time and I really liked the crowd.  These were nice people and almost all of them were Chelsea’s teacher friends, who had come out to support her.  I unsuccessfully bid on a necklace and Wilson was also outbid on Jo-Elle’s glass art piece.  But that was good since it meant someone had offered money that we had.  I left at 9:30, but it looked like the people were just getting warmed up.  I have been to some fundraisers, but I found this one to be more special, and I mentioned that to Wilson.  It was perhaps because none of the people there were as rich as some you find at such events.  But they were still trying to do their best to help out and were really having a good time as friends usually do.  I was happy to have done this and while there had been no Tiramisu like before, I had really enjoyed myself a great deal. Tomorrow would most definitely be a 'Super Sunday'

No comments:

Post a Comment