What’s the Word

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Wednesday, May 08, 2013; 6:30-8 pm

It had been a tough day at work, one which had left me exhausted and a bit annoyed.  Coming to Lakeview Nursing for this program was in a way therapeutic, especially since today we would be ‘revealing’ the May-June issue of ‘As We See It,', always an interactive and fun experience.  I arrived to see a box of deep-dish pizza on the table in front of us.  Gwyn had obtained it from ‘Edwardo’s Pizza’, the place mentioned in this month’s restaurant review.  The residents, especially Larry were digging in and clearly enjoying it.  I was too tired to eat a heavy deep-dish pizza, but was interested in the conversation around the best pizza in Chicago.  When I had first moved, I had thought the Chicago style deep-dish was a work of art, but after a few of these you realize that it’s nothing more than a carrier for tomato sauce.  If given a choice, I would go for a nice thin crust Italian pizza, but that’s strictly when given a choice.  Any pizza is better than no pizza, deep dish or no dish!

Mmm Pizza
This project is slowly turning into our own club, since I saw the usual crowd of Sallie, Noel and Tash.  Noel came carrying a huge backpack that was almost as tall as her and I asked if she was off to Mexico after this!  Gwyn distributed the copies of the May-June issue and we started reviewing it.  I was delighted to see that all trivia that I had researched the previous time had made it to the final cut.  Besides that, the issue was chock-full of interesting pieces of information, such as the first day of summer being June 21 at 12:04 am.  Now, why 12:04 am, someone may ask.  I have no idea, but if I were to guess, it may be someone who just wanted to prove a point that they are different! 

Chicago is a great city to be in during summer – all 2 weeks of it – because of the various outdoor activities such as street art festivals and music concerts in the parks.  The issue touched upon the upcoming concert series in Millennium Park, where there was something going on almost daily.  Some of the festivals were: ‘The Chicago Blues Festival’, ‘The Gospel Music Festival’ and ‘The Ravinia Concert Series’, which features Sting as one of the headliners.  Next section was the ‘Book Review’ and this month’s selection was, “The Winner’ by David Baldacci.  As usual, the guys had picked a thriller and when asked, Larry went on to give me a detailed review of the book.  The funny thing was that Jim, who was sitting closer to me was making faces and pointing with his eyes as Larry was talking and while the poor guy – and the rest of the volunteers - couldn't see what Jim was doing, I had to keep from laughing.   

Next was the restaurant review with ‘Edwardo’s Pizza’ and we learned that May 18 was ‘National Pizza Party Day’.  Hey now, every day should be pizza party day, but I will take that one day for sure.  Speaking of pizza, the box in front of us was almost empty and after some minor persuasion, Larry took the final slice.  One thing that I have noticed about Larry is his love for food and I totally respect him for that!  After the restaurant review was the staff interview and this time we were talking with Colleen, who is the resident dietitian.  I pointed out the irony that we had followed up a restaurant review of a cheesy deep-dish pizza place with an interview with a dietitian at a Senior Center.  However, Colleen did say that her favorite places/things to do in city included a pizza and an ice cream place.  The sports section reproduced Jim’s rant about how Chicago is a ‘Cubs’ town when ‘White Sox’ are the winning team.  The section on ‘Batman’ and ‘Superman’ comics had been included as well as information on some of the other quirky days such as ‘Eat What You Want Day’ – Gwyn did point out that it’s ‘What you want’ not ‘As much as you want’ – and ‘Hug your cat day’.

As usual, the word search game was quite competitive and Larry was on fire.  He was spotting words all over the place, including all the diagonals.  Perhaps it was poetic that the last word any one of us found was ‘Cubs’, and I said as much to Jim, pointing out that even in games they were the last.  We wrapped up with Gwyn reminding us that next time we would be starting work on the July-August issue.  What!  It’s August already?  Where did all the time go?  Sometimes when I look back at these articles, I realize how the time has flown.  A year ago I had no idea a place like Lakeview Nursing even existed.  And now people like Larry and Jim and I discover together that June is ‘Accordion Awareness Month’!

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment