Super Sunday II: Paint The Town Red

Location: H.O.M.E. – Pat Crowley House
Date: Sunday, May 12, 2013; 2:30-4:30 pm

Since I was done with my morning duties earlier than expected, I came back home for a few hours and was on my way to the train station when Wilson called asking if I needed a ride to the Pat Crowley House.  I was happy to accept and so waited for him at a street corner and sure enough, he pulled up with barely enough room for me in his car and we were off.  I asked where he was coming from and he said something about helping someone at McCormick place.  I told him about my experience in the morning and as usual he encouraged me to find the bright spot and I couldn't argue against that.  We were both doing two back-to-back projects and he said that he couldn't drop me home afterwards since he was leaving early to make it to his Mom’s for ‘Mother’s Day’.  It was nice that despite his fervent desire to try and help as much as possible, he knew his priorities for today.  I asked what present he had got for her and he showed me a camera. 

The Mobile
We arrived at our destination more than 30 minutes in advance.  This gave me an opportunity to play with Wheezy, who was the RA – Resident Assistant - Christina’s little dog and also chatting with Annabelle and Andrew.  Andrew said that he wasn’t feeling too well and he did look a bit tired, though his mind was as sharp as usual.  Other volunteers for today were Noel and Fran and once we had all assembled at the table, Wilson mentioned that the project for today was making a ‘Mobile’ inspired by Alexander Calder.  Making what by whom?  Now I apologize if my cultural knowledge did not extend to this, but although I had seen the things Wilson was referring to, I did not know what they were called, or who was the pioneer in that field.  Well, I knew now!

Wilson showed us an example of a Mobile that had been made by a resident the previous summer and was now hanging on the ceiling.  It was a beautiful structure and I could see why babies may be entertained by staring at the Mobiles on their cribs.  Wilson then pulled out his projector and we saw video’s on Calder’s life, art and then a fantastic one on his puppet circus shows.  We chatted with the residents – Mabel, Wendy and Jane – while this was going on and Noel mentioned about a Calder sculpture outside the Post Office in the loop.  Jane couldn't picture it and kept asking us where it was, saying that she’s probably been around this place several times.  I said that all of us may have passed by it several times without noticing, similar to Parisian’s and the Eiffel Tower!

And mine!
As we saw some of the bigger Mobiles in the video, Wilson kept talking about how it was about finding the ‘Harmony and Balance’ in one’s life, while Jane being a more realistic person said it was all about Physics.  I agreed with her completely, though I could see Wilson’s point, for it truly looked remarkable and was indeed a peaceful sight to watch these things glide through the air.  All this time Andrew was chatting with a girl who used to be a RA and had come to see him.  As I have always said, one of the reasons why I like coming here is because of the people and this was an example where someone had come back to meet with them.  As I went over to their table, I heard him talk with her about his guns and how he was still strong and fast when it came to handling one of those!

The video was over and Wilson wanted all of us to make our own Mobile and in doing so “find balance”.  Besides the balance in the sculpture, he was referring to finding balance in our daily lives.  I made a sorry attempt with some heart shapes and was really struggling to get the ribbons firmly fixed to the straws.  Fran and other made fun of my knots and Wilson said it was like trying to tie your shoelaces.  I said that that’s the reason why I wear slip-on’s, leading to another round of laughter, which happens a lot during this project.  During our conversations today I learned that Wilson’s family used to own a restaurant.  We asked what he did and he said that he was a bus boy till his sisters left and then he graduated to being a server.  We also learned that he loves to watch movies, though none of us could figure out when he found the time to do so. 

Andrew's sketch
While we were chatting, Andrew pulled out his sketch book and we saw a sketch of a woman which was the spitting image of the actress from the TV show ‘Cold Case’.  I complimented him, especially on how he had sketched the features such as lips.  He said that he usually started with the mouth and the eyes and called the eyes as “Windows to the soul”.  “Amen to that”, I replied.  Jane had brought some musical instrument which I had not seen before and it looked like a string guitar that you play by putting it horizontal on your lap.  She was playing it and was quite good.  She mentioned that she had turned the strings around since she was left-handed and I said she could have kept them the same and played upside down like Hendrix!  Jane is quite a musician and told us about her singing group that has been meeting every week for the past several decades. 

Wilson kept reminding us to work towards a balance and when I complained about my difficulties, he said that an almost blind man had made the Mobile that hung on the ceiling and so there was no reason for me not to do it.  I joked that since he was almost blind, his other skills and senses must be enhanced, such as dexterity in his fingers.  But Wilson was right; I was making a mess out of it and could have been more involved.  But I have always enjoyed the conversations a lot more and so was chatting with the residents more than worrying about my knots.  Annabelle had decided that the Mobile was not for her and so was making a dog out of craft paper – yes, a dog.  In fact, it turned out to be quite good and when she mentioned that she was going to throw it away, I said I would be honored to have it on my wall of souvenirs.  She agreed and so I requested she sign it for me. 

Annabelle's dog
With that safely in my bag, it was time to leave.  My Mobile had just made it to the second level and I abandoned it for this session at least.  Noel said that she was taking over the leadership for this project and that a wonderful thing since she is not only a talented artist, but she has the requisite empathy that is essential for a project like this.  It had been another afternoon of great conversations and we could have stayed for a long time, but Wilson and I had a project to get to.  Almost every project that I have has led to one lasting memory and today was no exception.  After finishing the work on her dog, Annabelle had had been busy making a card for a friend of hers who is a teacher.  I asked what the occasion was and she said that her friend worked tirelessly to help children and Annabelle wanted to remind her that she appreciated it.  I looked at the card and it said, “It made a difference to that starfish”, a reference completely lost on me.  Annabelle then told us a story about this old man who was walking down a beach and came across a young woman who was picking up starfish and throwing them back in the ocean.  When he asked why, she replied that the tide was going out and if she did not do it, the starfish would die.  To this old man replied that there were thousands of starfish lined up along miles of the beach and she could not possibly save them all or make a difference.  To this the young woman just picked another starfish, threw it in the ocean and said,“It made a difference to that one.” 

And her card
People like Wilson and Noel and Fran and even I have had fantastic experiences through our projects with Chicago Cares and other organizations. I personally, have always considered it a privilege to be involved and have an opportunity to contribute.  We often joked that despite Wilson’s superman efforts, even he cannot be everywhere.  Others compliment Wilson and me on the time we put in and apologize that they are unable to do so.  All of these theories and comments are wrong.  I have been told multiple times by people how much it means to them to have us visit.  Wilson may not be able to solve all of Chicago’s problems by himself but he does the best he can and also inspires others to do the same.  And I would respect more a person who gives a hour of their time each year to help someone with complete commitment and dedication, than a volunteer who logs hundreds of hours but is disinterested.  The idea is to focus on the one person, the one project that you are on and live in that moment.  Make a difference to that Starfish.  And if you really do that, you will understand the meaning of true happiness and peace. 

Wilson had constantly, almost irritating, reminded us throughout that afternoon to work towards finding a balance.  After listening to Annabelle’s story, I finally knew what he meant. And at that moment, everything was in harmony.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment