Art Smart At Brunson


Location: Brunson (Milton) Math & Science Specialty Elementary School
Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013; 9:50 am-11:30 pm

Like my adventures on Thursday, today was going to be a busy day as well.  Besides a Chicago Cares project, I had signed up to volunteer for a charity fund raising event, where not only was I going to help with the set up, but also work during the actual event in the evening.  When all was said and done, I expected to be back home after fourteen hours of volunteer work.  I really need to get a pet or something!

For the third Saturday in a row, I was headed towards a certain neighborhood.  This time it was back to Brunson Elementary School and I took a bus ride to get there.  While the sidewalks were not as bad to walk on as the previous week, it was quite chilly and all I wanted was to be inside the warm school.  Well, that was easier said than done, since I arrived to find a locked door.  There were other volunteers waiting as well, but even though the clock said 9:50 am, there was no one to let us in.  Emily arrived with Sara and finally the doors opened from inside and we were able to get away from the chill. 

What's 'Mardi Gras' without masks
As we defrosted in the play room, Emily told us that we would be making ‘Mardi Gras’ masks.  We received hand-outs on ‘Mardi Gras’ and its significance, how it is celebrated around the world as well as examples of some of the colorful masks.  Sara, who was going to be taking over as a leader for this project, and Emily left to get some supplies.  That left me in the room with other volunteers and it was very quiet.  None of us were talking with each other and we could almost hear the crickets.  Finally, I said let get down to making some of these mask and then, as some pressure had been released, everyone started interacting.  The first task was to cut the mask templates from the printouts that Emily had provided; a job that required some dexterity with the scissors.  I was maneuvering around the corners when the kids arrived. 

Interestingly, we had only boys today and one of them approached me and said “I know you”.  I recognized him as Arthur, from my science project last Saturday at Young Elementary.  He was actually in another project and that left us with even less number of children.  We all gathered around one big table and got down to making masks.  I found myself sitting next to Kenneth, twin to Jada, with whom I had worked during my previous visit.  I asked him where she was and he said she was visiting their cousins.  It was a shame for two reasons, one because I had enjoyed her company and two, it would have been fantastic to have them side by side doing an arts project and comparing and contrasting their designs. 

Kenneth is an extremely well behaved and polite boy.  Not only was he going about his work in a quiet way, he was very generous when it came to sharing and on several occasions offered me his colors.  I asked him about his family and learned that they have two one year Pit bulls, a male and female.  Are they brother and sister, someone asked and we were all laughing when Kenneth replied, “No, boyfriend and girlfriend”.  I asked if he was responsible for one of them and he said yes, the male.  While he was answering all of my questions, he was completely focused on his mask.  For my part, I was going to town with the colors. After all it was meant to be festive! 

Sara's feathery creation
Here's mine: Making sure I used all available colors!
Sara had decided to go a different route and instead of painting with colors, was working with feathers. But she ended up with something fantastic and while it dried, we chatted about our jobs and other things.  No discussion on ‘Mardi Gras’ is complete without talking about New Orleans; and no discussion on New Orleans is complete without talking about food.  We exchanged food stories from New Orleans, including the famous ‘Beignets’.  While all of this was going on, the boys had moved on to the second set of masks and some had tied strings and were even wearing their first ones while working.  Considering it was boys, there was a definite superhero theme going on, including with Kenneth.  Since I was running out of time, I did not mount mine to a cardboard for support or tie a string, or even cut out the eyes.  The women had attached straws to their masks for holding up to the eyes; just like they would at a masquerade ball.

It was about that time when we had to start cleaning up and once it was done the boys left, not before there were some pictures with all of them in their masks.  I looked at my creation and while it would never start a trend, it would definitely make my office wall.  Emily dropped me at the train station and as I got back into downtown, I had no idea that the most frantic part of my day had not even begun.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment