Homework Help At Chicago Lights

Location: Fourth Presbyterian Church
Date: Thursday, March 7, 2013; 5:45-7:30 pm

I have a confession to make.  It doesn't matter how many degrees I have collected, I really am not that good at studies.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I have always been interested in acquiring knowledge, either through books, or in a classroom.  But when it comes to studying solo, my attention span has always been quite limited.  However, I have found myself being more attentive when tutored one-on-one.  I remember my Dad teaching me fractions and that one night when my Mom stayed up with me till 4 am to teach me languages.  I also remember one cold evening in graduate school, when one of my buddies patiently explained the concepts of ‘Mass Transport’ in Chemical Engineering.  I have learned a lot through these tutoring sessions, but never before had I an opportunity to tutor someone…until today.  I was to participate in Chicago Light’s tutoring program.

Of all my Chicago Cares projects, this one was the closest to both, where I work and where I live.  In fact, it was right in middle of downtown with spectacular views of Michigan Avenue.  I arrived at the facility, which unlike some of the other places, was in a high rise.  I was directed to a room where I found a group of other volunteers, none of whom were from Chicago Cares.  They were substitute tutors who were working directly through Chicago Lights.  Their website says, “Breaking the Cycle of Poverty Through Education - Chicago Lights Tutoring seeks to break the cycle of poverty through academic and emotional support for over 400 students from low-income communities by helping the students improve their academic performance, stay in school through high school graduation, prepare for higher education and meaningful careers, and expand leadership and social skills.  Children in grades one through twelve, from the Near North, Near West, and Humboldt Park neighborhoods, come to Fourth Presbyterian Church for weekly one-to-one tutoring sessions with volunteer tutors/mentors.  Healthy meals, creative enrichment activities, computer lab access, career development opportunities, internships, scholarships, and literacy activities are key components of the program, which operates four evenings a week during the school year.”

Weeks before this event, I had been sent a Volunteer Handbook by Chicago Cares, which amongst many things said that our main job would be in inspiring the child.  Typically, Chicago Lights requires a tutor to agree to a long-term commitment, coming in same time each week, and working with the same child.  This allows them to build a rapport, which goes a long way towards the true education of that child.  Chicago Cares provides rotating substitute teachers who volunteer every Thursday and fill-in for regular tutors.  I was one of those substitute tutors, which meant it was unlikely that I would be building a similar bond with the child as a regular tutor would have done.

My friend Irina was also doing the program this evening and no sooner had we said hello, when one of the staff members dumped a bunch of paperwork for us to fill out.  Not only had we not seen our Volunteer leader, it seemed that the only thing we would be doing that evening, was filling out the forms.  There were several question regarding our history, employment, places of residence over the past several years and list of references.  As if that wasn't enough, we were also given two other reference forms to hand to people who would vouch for us.  When it came to background check, these guys took it seriously, and rightfully so.  If this was going to turn out to be a regular tutoring schedule for someone, they were going to ensure the credibility of that person.  Normally, Chicago Cares takes away the background check aspect for Children’s Services programs by only requiring the Volunteer leader to undergo checks, assuming that this person would be accountable for the volunteers under them.  I for one have never complained about checks and security, because it is only for the good and when it comes to children, you cannot be too safe.

We finally finished the paperwork and the staff member asked if Irina and I wanted to pair up, which we had no problems with.  Next task was to find a child who required our help.  We walked down the corridors and saw several rooms where tutoring sessions were in progress.  It also seemed like a lively and fun place for the kids.  We were told that the child may have some homework to do, in which case we were to help them with that.  If not, there were several worksheets with the librarian, which they could solve for points.  Finally, we were encouraged to play a game with the child towards the end of our session.  When time was up, we were to accompany the child to the cafeteria on first floor where everyone was waiting for their bus, either going uptown or toward west loop.  Once the children got on their buses, we could leave. 

Arithmetic
We found a girl, Nadia, who was not paired with anyone.  She did not have any homework, but was willing to do a worksheet problem.  I went with her to pick one from the library and while I tried to engage her in conversation, she seemed the type who takes a long time to open up.  Nadia picked a Math worksheet and we were ready to begin.  The task was to add 3 or four sets of numbers, ranging anywhere from single to 4 digits.  Nadia diligently used a pencil and scrap paper to add them, while I borrowed a calculator from Irina.  Let us examine the irony here.  A pre-teen girl was doing arithmetic on paper while a PhD. was using a calculator to add.  I guess I could claim that I had ‘earned’ that right.  I noticed that almost all of her totals were wrong, but waited till she had finished the set.  I asked her to check her answers and she realized that she had forgotten to add a complete set of middle numbers in all of the problems.  Once she found out what her mistake was, she corrected it in no time and we moved to the next set, which was matching the columns. 

On the left was a group of numbers to be added and on the right was the answers.  The student had to draw a line to match the correct answer with the set of numbers.  She connected all of them correctly, with me checking on the calculator, and then when only one was left, she drew a line to join them.  The point of the exercise was to learn how to add.  So I told her that while we had only one choice left, we should double-check to see if it was indeed correct.  She did not complain and did as I told.  The final problem was a short paragraph which outlined the area of three countries and asked the student to find the total area.  I told Nadia that if she got this correct, we would proclaim her as the Queen of all of these nations.  While she may have thought of this as tacky for her age, she did smile at the joke. 
 
Jenga
Nadia had decided that she was done studying for the evening and now was time to play a game.  She chose ‘Jenga’, which she claimed as one of her favorites.  I had never played this before and when I learned that the objective was to build a tower with wooden blocks and remove one-at-a-time and placing on top without toppling, I knew I was in trouble.  Dexterity has never been one of my strong points.  A little boy, Ken, asked if he could join and the four of us started playing.  Not only was Nadia good at this, she was also trash talking.  To my surprise, so was Irina.  I had never pictured her to be so competitive.  I was doing quite well for a first timer and wasn't even the first one eliminated, Ken having that distinction.  One his tower had toppled, he moved on to play something else with his mentor and I was left with the girls.  Through an unspoken agreement, they had decided to gang up on me and it wasn't long before my number was up.  For the finals both of them indulged in some good natured gamesmanship and at the end Irina won.  She is not the one to be a quite winner and proceeded to celebrate with lot of enthusiasm.  To her credit, Nadia was enjoying herself and did not mind.  We played two more games, both of which where I was eliminated first and Irina won.  Watching the girls play was edge-of the-seat excitement and there were times when I found myself holding my breath, anticipating a fall which never came.  This was brilliant stuff.

Soon the time was up and we gathered our belongings and prepared to go down to wait for the bus with Nadia.  We stopped at several rooms to see all sorts of activities going on, ranging from people playing ‘Hangman’ on white board, to dancing to ‘Monopoly’, to even composing music on computers hooked to a big screen TV.  Every volunteer and student looked comfortable with each other and the tasks they were doing, showing the virtue of building a recurring relationship.  We went down with Nadia and waited in the cafeteria with dozens of screaming kids and other volunteers.  She finally got on her bus and we were ready to leave.  This tutoring experience had been a lot of fun and despite my reservations regarding my abilities to teach, I had done a decent job.  On a recent flight, I was reading Southwest Airlines’ in-flight magazine, ‘Spirit’, which had an article on ‘Youth Orchestra LA (YOLA)’, which is a non-profit initiative that supplies underprivileged children with free instruments, instructions and enables them to express themselves and their art.  The article starts with the words, “If you know four notes… teach someone who knows three”

Well, nothing more to add really.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy


No comments:

Post a Comment