Shopping On Lake


Location: West Side Grocery – Vital Bridges NFP Inc.
Date: Saturday, February 23, 2013; 9:30 am-1:10 pm

I had read about this project a long time ago and had in fact signed up for a session back in December.  That was before I found out that the AMC Cinema’s near my place was going to be showing ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ trilogy that day.  I begrudgingly had cancelled my participation and while I should have gone, we are talking about Extended Edition versions here - the ultimate eleven plus hour geek fest.  Later on, I tried to get into this program for January, but it would always show up as full.  I had finally managed to get a spot for today and was looking forward to this.  Besides the MLK Celebration of Service, this was the longest Chicago Cares program that I would have done in terms of the length. Furthermore, this was a multiple project day for me, with a short window to get to my next appointment.  I was getting used to that.

A representative pantry
According to the opportunity description on the website, I would be working at one of the four grocery centers across Chicago that cater to the specific dietary needs of people living with HIV and AIDS.  My job would be to shop the food pantry for items as per the client’s grocery menu.  I still had no idea what this meant, but had a strong suspicion that this would be one of the private programs.  Sure enough, upon arrival I was presented with a confidentiality agreement to sign.  So once again, there will be no names mentioned. 

The place is run by Vital Bridges and Chicago Cares volunteers there three Saturday’s a month.  I met some of their regular employees as well as other volunteers.  Our volunteer leader explained to me how the program would work.  The clients would arrive and based on the menu, fill out their grocery lists.  Their health care providers have worked with them to ensure they get the necessary nutrition.  In each category they would have a choice of either 2 or 3 items.  For example, in frozen meats section they could choose between salmon, catfish, tilapia, or chicken thighs, drumsticks etc.  There were also meat options as well as other non-frozen options such as turkey bacon, sausages etc.  Then there were frozen vegetables and juices as well as other refrigerated products such as yogurt.  Next came the canned fruits and vegetables section as well as fresh produce.  Then there was a section with boxed items such as mashed potatoes and grits as well as bread, rice and cereal.  Within each category was a choice of types as well; for example white or brown bread, garlic or plain mashed potatoes etc.  Our volunteer leader took me around the pantry so that I could familiarize myself and told me that there were some giveaways with each order, such as mayonnaise this time.  Also, some of the things were naturally paired, like giving out 4 packs of gravy with mashed potatoes and jelly with peanut butter.  I was also told to check if they had received their monthly ‘household item’ like laundry detergent, bathroom roll etc. Finally, since we served clients with AIDS, there would be requests for ‘protection’ and I was shown where that was kept.  I was ready.

The volunteer leader accompanied me for my first order and it was quite straightforward.  After shopping we got everything to the counter and called out the items as the client bagged it, after which they signed the order form as an acknowledgement of receipt.  From then on I was on my own and orders were coming in thick and fast.  All the clients were familiar with the regular employee’s and often they worked with them in filling out the orders to ensure they got the right items within the parameters that they had.  Most of the orders were for two weeks while others were for one.  Quite often we ran out of carts and had to wait till a client had been served before proceeding with the next.  While it was a lot of work, it was mostly at a relaxed pace and every now and then I got a chance to chat with my fellow volunteers.  One of the non-Chicago Cares volunteers even mopped the floor during a period of lull. 

A noble cause
At this stage, it would be prudent to say a few things about Vital Bridges.  According to their website, “Vital Bridges Center on Chronic Care – at the forefront of helping men, women and children impacted by HIV and AIDS build healthier lives for over twenty years.”  Their mission is to “Help people throughout metropolitan Chicago impacted by HIV and AIDS to improve their health and build self-sufficiency by providing food, nutrition counseling, housing, care coordination and prevention services.”  It goes on to say, " Over 21,000 people live with HIV and AIDS in Chicago - that's nearly 28 people per 100,000 and three-times that of the rest of Illinois. Chicago's and Illinois' rates of HIV and AIDS prevalence  are among the highest in the US.  The vast majority of people living with HIV and AIDS live at or below the poverty line, struggling to meet their daily needs while dealing with a complex, debilitating and incurable disease.  Since 1981, 11,000 men, women and children in metropolitan Chicago have died from AIDS.  Vital Bridges strives to serve every man, woman and child impacted by HIV who needs our services."

I had an opportunity serve many clients this morning.  Many of them thanked me and while the volunteers were new, the clients had genuine respect for the employees, some of whom have been working there for decades.  I saw the photographs on the walls where I could recognize them in their younger days.  It is interesting that they have been there through the era when AIDS was a taboo and a death sentence, to today where we may be winning the battle.  I was proud to have served with them, even though my contribution cannot even begin to compare with theirs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment