Mad Scientists

Location: Henderson Elementary School
Date: Saturday, March 9, 2013; 9:50 am-12:00 pm

This program had been my first project with children and thus, is one that is special to me.  Due to ISAT preparations at the school, we had not had this for the last few months and as soon as an opportunity presented itself, I jumped all over it.  Brenna was the Volunteer leader and I asked if I could bring some cookies for the kids, something which she welcomed.  I arrived at the Garfield Red Line stop and saw her waiting for the bus.  We rode together and she mentioned that today we would be doing all things flight, which included making 'Paper Airplanes' and 'Parachutes'; something that I was familiar with from my MLK project at Barry Elementary.  After another tricky walk on the icy sidewalks, we arrived at the school. 

The paper airplane fleet
Soon we were joined by other volunteers Pat and Molly, whom I knew, as well as Andy and Emma.  When I found out that Emma was an archaeologist  I couldn't help but refer to her as ‘Female Indiana Jones’, a term she said is directed toward her quite frequently.  Now that this was out of the way, I asked about her work and was fascinated to hear that she frequently goes on international expeditions to exotic places such as Peru and Mongolia.  My job usually takes me to Columbus, Ohio, but hey, who’s keeping track!  While we could have talked about archaeology all day, we were soon joined by the kids.

We did not have as big a turnout as in the past and there were about two boys and six girls.  For our icebreaker introductions, Brenna asked everyone to say what their favorite thing was about Spring.  Many said it was the warm weather that allowed folks to go outdoors and there was even mention of Baseball.  I said I liked the colors of Spring after the dullness of Winter.  Since there weren't many children, each volunteer had either one or two kids to work with and I was paired with Joleen, who is Justin’s twin.  Justin himself, and another boy Don, were with Emma.  Our first experiment was making 'Balloon Rockets' which included passing a long string through a plastic straw and tying its ends to a door knob or something that would create nice long platform on which to launch our rockets.  Next we were to inflate a balloon and pinch the end rather than tie a knot.  The balloon would then be taped to the straw and when the pressure was released, the thrust would propel the straw from one end of the string to the other. 

This seemed straightforward and Joleen and I set about trying to find something on which we could tie our string, but to no avail.  So we teamed up with others where the volunteers would hold the ends of the string and the kids would ‘launch’ the rockets.  Joleen’s first attempt worked very well and then we started experimenting with different sizes of balloons in terms of the inflation, the contact area between the balloon and straw as well as releasing two balloons from either side to see how they collided.  Emma, Don and Justin were trying different designs, including vertical launch.  It was apparent that Don fancied himself as an Engineer and was coming up with different situations and strategies.  It was great to see all the children so engaged. 

This flew...
For our next experiment we were going to be making 'Paper Airplanes'.  I have fond memories of this activity back in school days where paper was more used for making planes than actual homework.  Brenna had provided us with four different designs and while I tried making some to match the specs, I was failing at it quite badly.  I could sense Joleen was getting impatient and so I told her that I was going make one of my own designs and it would fly.  So while most were making amazing looking paper airplanes, I was sticking to what I had learned in school all those years ago.  Brenna wanted all of us to make at least two different designs, so we made something which resembled her instructions.  Next was an experiment where all the kids were called to the front of the classroom and we had a competition to check, (a) Who had made the plane that flew the farthest within its design class and, (b) Which design was the best in terms of flight.  This testing led to ten minutes of general mayhem amongst the kids, though all of us had a great time.  While not exactly ‘Spruce Goose’, I was pleased to see that our design had an elegant, though short-lived, flight.

...And this landed
After the break our final task was making 'Parachutes' from plastic bags.  Pat had even bought tiny G.I. Joe plastic men to tie to the end of the parachute string.  I must admit that I made a complete mess of our parachute by using tape in places I should not have and this led to both, Joleen and I being quite frustrated.  I was losing her, though kudos to Brenna, who came over and helped us both start on a new one.  I really admired her patient approach because we were way behind everyone else, most of whom had already gone to try their parachutes out on the stairs.  With her help we managed to make one and while our military man was tied upside down, at least we had something to experiment with.  Joleen and I joined the others outside and to our delight, it worked.  Joleen stood on the stairs and dropped in down the side where I waited.  The man may have been upside down, but the parachutes gradual decent meant that he would definitely have been saved, were this a real situation. 

We said goodbye to the kids, including Alice, a tine girl who had spent most of the last 30 minutes playing with my hair and being pesky.  She may have been clad in cute pink, but she had tons of attitude, though I did not mind at all.  I rode back on a bus with Molly and we talked about the future of this program since Henderson is on the preliminary 'School Closing List' for Chicago.  This would be such a shame because the children there are getting much more than just a classroom education, due to the efforts of Chicago Cares and its volunteers.  I had once again enjoyed being a part of this program and though the morning had been successful, there still was some work to be done later in the afternoon.  

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment