Lakeview Seniors Bingo

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, February 25, 2013; 6:30 pm-7:45 pm

I had arrived a bit early and decided to walk about in the nearby ‘Trader Joes’ before it was time for Bingo Night.  What that meant was that most of the volunteers had arrived and one of them had already taken up a space next to Emma.  That was a bummer, though I would still be sitting at her table, but working with Valerie, whom I had met at a previous project.  Also at our table was Dorothy, while the volunteer working with Emma was Justina.  I looked around and besides Wilson and our Volunteer leader Jen, we had Jim and Jane, who shared the calling duties. 

Tonight I would be using Doubloons!
As is usually the case, the first few minutes are a chance for the residents to play with the dogs who are there for Pet Therapy, and that gave me an opportunity to chat with the ladies at my table.  Since I had never met Dorothy before, I introduced myself.  She said that Dorothy was not her birth name and she had changed to it because she hated the one that she was given.  Sounded like a woman who knows exactly what she wants!  We talked about the dinner they serve at Lakeview and there wasn't much enthusiasm about the food.  Valerie bemoaned that there usually is Pasta and remembered a time when she had just come to Lakeview and they had served a Cornish Hen.  That sounded like a great meal and I told her so.  She said that there used to be a Chinese chef and since he had left, the food had not been that great.  Dorothy said that she just liked the desserts and that was good enough.  I liked her already!

Jim called the room to order and it was time to begin.  He usually starts by giving out some stats and said that Valerie owned the single evening’s record of 6 wins.  That was amazing and like Joe DiMaggio’s hitting streak or Celtics of the 60’s, a record that may never be broken.  We started playing and there were the usual quirks like Kenny announcing the time and channel for ‘Hawaii Five-O’ when the number 50 was called.  Most of the room had taken to humming the tune and Kenny was now announcing the guest star that was appearing in tonight’s episode, along with his resume.  I have a feeling that watching the show with Kenny may be a whole lot of fun. 

Emma's favorite crackers
This was turning out to be an extremely lucky evening for Dorothy and she won three times, though she kept only two of the prizes – ‘Word Search Vol. 103’ and hard sugar candy.  When she chose the puzzle book I asked if she had solved the earlier 102 volumes, something that she found funny.  Poor Emma on the other hand seemed to be having one of her unlucky evenings and at one stage even said that she did not like the white chips because they are unlucky.  Whether that’s true or not, she did manage to win one game and as soon as Jen came with the prizes, Emma announced that she wanted one of those peanut butter cheese crackers, apparently her favorite snack.

While all of this was going on, Valerie was getting grumpier because everyone around her was winning.  While she was still making some funny comments like “Your face is dirty”, when number 30 was called, after a while she put her game face on and became serious.  That concentration seems to have worked, because she won twice and each time took the same type of peanut butter cracker.  When I asked her why she chose the same type, she said she would give one to her roommate.  I thought she was being sweet, but she immediately said the reason she wanted to give her roommate crackers was so that she could shut up since she talks too much.  At one stage Valerie said to me, “I want a drink”, and she did not mean water.  “Me too”, I whispered back!

The evening ended with our table having done extremely well, with six wins.  Emma, being the gentle soul that she is, asked everyone if they wanted to share her crackers.  I asked her if she had received anything for Valentine’s Day, hoping she would remember the flowers.  For a moment I could see the recognition in her eyes, but it passed and she started talking about her daughter.  Whether she remembers or not, I hope she  liked them, even if for a short time.  I dropped Dorothy in her room, having enjoyed her company a lot. Before leaving I chatted with my buddies Jim and Larry and saw that they had a new book, no doubt something which will make it to the book review in ‘As We See It’.  It had been another satisfying evening and for a change, a victorious one. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment